Navigating insurance is confusing! When Allyson and I (Julie) first sat down to create Nurture Columbus, one of our main goals was to figure out insurance coverage and creative ways we could offer quality, in-home lactation services to ALL families. We have made some great progress working toward this goal, and are continually working each week to improve access to IBCLC lactation services. Here are your current options for covered or discounted services with us:
- We are in-network with Anthem BCBS plans for in-home and virtual consultations. Please schedule under our “Anthem Insurance Plans” While there will be no upfront costs, we will hold a credit card on file for any denied claims or co-pays.
- Approved for in-home and virtual consults with OSU Insurance/Buckeye Baby Program to be reimbursed 100%.
- If you have a Cigna or United Health Care PPO Plan, you can complete this form via the Lactation Network to see if you’re eligible for 2 visits with us with no out of pocket cost to you. Enter “Nurture Columbus” for Lactation Consultant referring you.
- For any other insurance companies, call your company to see what coverage is for out-of-network Home Based Lactation Consultations with an IBCLC. (Better yet, ask about this while you’re still pregnant to save yourself the hassle later!). This route means you will pay out of pocket, but increases your chances of reimbursement. After each visit, we will provide you with an itemized superbill via email which you can submit to your insurance company for possible reimbursement depending on your plan’s coverage.
- If you have a Medicaid plan or receive WIC, in addition to advocating for better coverage, we offer a discounted consultation rate for all of our in-home and virtual consultation services.
We hope one of these options helps you in accessing the care you deserve. We would love the opportunity to support you and your family on your feeding journey!
**This blog post has been updated to add up-to-date insurance coverage.
About the author: Julie Oberholzer is an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) with Nurture Columbus, in Columbus, Ohio. With her background in Public Health and Lactation, she enjoys meeting with parents and new babies, helping them on their feeding journey and supporting them as they find their new normal.